5.24.2011

what i can + can't see

i sat down a few days ago to write a very different post. i was thinking a lot about the differences in the things i can see and touch [which lately have basically consisted of end dates to our lease, my job, and tim's new diploma... and very empty pages in my planner starting soon]. don't get me wrong, there is still a LOT that i don't know yet: where tim and i will live in, oh i don't know, 3 weeks and where tim will find meaningful vocational work. but, i'm not quite in the same place today...


because ... I GOT A NEW JOB YESTERDAY! [more on that later]


i'm excited. my job this past year has been okay, but has left me longing for much more from my work. more challenges, growth, meaning. there have been plenty of perks in my job - short hours, the school schedule, not much paperwork - but, i'm not one to be satisfied by lots of downtime. although, playing endless games of war and go-fish aren't too bad.


and even though there's a new, visible part of this next unknown, i don't want to forget what i have been learning, which is that there's much, much more than what i can see, taste, touch. 


i've been reminded in my very favorite book, the allure of hope, that jesus calls us to hope. and hope, you remember, means that we have a vision for something that we can't yet see. so, most of what i have to hold onto right now are things i cannot actually see: so, i am working on remembering and am thankful for a husband and a community of friends who help me with that.


i remember God's promise that my "own ears will hear him. right behind you a voice will say, 'this is the way you should go,' whether to the right or to the left." [isaiah 30.21]  i remember what i once read about shalom not just being the absence of pain, anxiety, or troubles. it is so much more! shalom is the presence of the goodness of God, in the midst of all things. graduations, new jobs, holes in our ceiling, middle school counseling offices. all things. 


and that, my friend, is beyond all that i can see and attempt to control. He is always good, always faithful, always with us.


wait patiently for the Lord. be brave and courageous. yes, wait patiently for the Lord. [psalm 27.14]


katie anne

1 comment:

  1. you got the job! so excited sweet friend! i can't wait to hear about all the details!
    o the allure of hope. that makes me think of how that book came to me at the perfect time, to start a journey of learning what hope that does not disappoint looks like.
    thinking & praying for you in the midst of transition...and of waiting with hope & trust for his goodness to provide.

    ReplyDelete